BOSTON – Day Two: Ready To Go

After a good night’s sleep, woke up to more drizzly rain and temps in the low 40’s.  This was a good thing, since our $300 room had no frig, so we were able to put our milk and cream cheese on our sixth floor window ledge overnight.  My sore throat seemed worse this morning, and my head was definitely congested.  I wasn’t sure if it was allergies or I was coming down with a cold, but I was not happy.  I used my inhaler, took two Excedrin, and hoped for the best.  I woke up Michael and my slightly hungover children, got everyone showered, and we all took a walk over to the Finish Line for photos.

Today the streets in the vicinity were closed to traffic and it was much easier to walk around than yesterday.   Yesterday was all bustle and fuss as people rushed to the expo to pick up bibs, but today there seemed to be a feeling of excitement as people posed in front of the Finish Line for photos.  I especially liked seeing huge yellow and blue banners hung from the top of the Old South Church.

Even though I knew I should be staying off my feet as much as possible, it was hard not to want to do some sightseeing.  We walked through the Public Garden and the Common,and I was disappointed that neither one of my kids remembered all the times I read Make Way for Ducklings to them when they were small, and how the book took place in Boston.  Even Michael didn’t know the story.  For me, a mother and an elementary teacher, this is like not remembering Santa Claus.  I made them walk past the statues of the mother duck and her ducklings just for spite.  They weren’t very impressed with the swan boat, either.  Afterwards, we walked up to the State House then strolled along the cobblestoned sidewalks of Beacon Hill.

Since I had been hydrating like crazy, I was happy to see port-a-potties all over the city.  I quickly discovered, however, that they were 99% locked shut with zip ties.  I’m sure this has something to do with the large homeless population in the city.  Port-a-potties on race day make me happy, so they were a welcome sight nevertheless.

After a quick stop in the room, and a visit with a friend in the lobby (who is running Boston for the eighth time), we decided to take the subway over to Beer Works, which is close to Fenway Park.  The kids had eaten there on Friday night, and Nicolas said they had the best clam chowder he’s ever tasted.  After being assured by the kids that it was only two train stops away, Dominique  inadvertently put us on the only train that doesn’t stop there.  After discovering our mistake, we had to get off, take another train back to where we started from, and take the correct train to the Kenmore stop.  By this time I was getting somewhat grumpy, knowing I should be resting, but I knew the clam chowder there–our only reason for making the trek in the first place–would be worth it.  When we walked up to the door, the very first thing we were told was that the kitchen was closed.

We decided to walk up the road a bit in search of another venue for clam chowder that someone else told us about.  We sat down, looked at the menu, and saw no clam chowder listed.  When we asked the waiter, he said yes, they did have clam chowder, and we all smiled and nodded our heads in relief.  Then he suddenly remembered they had just run out of clam chowder!  I felt like crying, only because by this time I was tired and anxious to get back to the hotel room to get my things ready for tomorrow’s race.  It all worked out in the end, though, and I was able to get some delicious chicken risotto instead–which was what I had wanted to eat in St. George the night before the race but was unable to find.  There’s always postrace for the clam chowder!

Went back to the room, got everything laid out for the race, took a relaxing shower, and am now writing this blog rather than resting for tomorrow’s race.  I feel nervous, but excited nervous, and look forward to a good race in the morning.  The antihistamine has helped some, but I’m resigned to the fact that I probably won’t be feeling 100% well tomorrow.  It will still be a good day, because I’ll be running the Boston Marathon.

Please leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s