7/22/11 – YOGA
Still felt under the weather today so I decided to try a new yoga video I bought some time ago, Yoga Conditioning for Athletes (with Rodney Yee, Gaiam). It was exactly what I needed.
Before I was a runner, I was a walker. I used to walk 3-4 miles most days after work, then come home and do 20 minutes of yoga with Rodney Yee. I loved walking (still do), but the yoga workout was my true favorite.
When I started running almost six years ago, I pretty much stopped doing anything but run. I still walk, though mostly if there’s a dog attached to a leash in my hand. I’ve been easing my way back into yoga now, after six years of telling myself I was going to, and for the first time today I feel as if I’m getting back some of my flexibility.
Aside from the stretching and lengthening of shortened muscles from running, I simply feel great after a yoga workout.
The Gaiam yoga videos are my favorites, especially the ones with Rodney Yee. Here are the videos I use the most:
- P.M. Yoga – very relaxing
- Stress Relief Yoga – gentle, easy stretches
- Power Yoga for Flexibility – also includes PY for Strength and Stamina, both good workouts
- Yoga Conditioning for Athletes – great for runners
- Yoga Burn – somewhat challenging
- Ali Macgraw: Yoga Mind and Body (this is not a Gaiam DVD, but is a great workout)
Here’s a good article on Yoga as Cross-Training.
Stats: Yoga – Conditioning for Athletes DVD – 1 hr